Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

Harry, There's Someone Watching Us....

Heyyy so apparently my first writing was kinda good so I will be writing a second post. Sorry I'm not the fabulous fangirl that usually posts here.
-Luna

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” ~Roald Dahl

"It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin." ~Pai Mei
The first quote is there to justify the second. Just to let you know, Pai Mei isn't a real person. he is a character from the (by far) goriest movie I have ever seen, Kill Bill. I don't recommend for anyone to watch it, I don't know why I watched it in the first place, but that kind of movie is the last place I would expect to find a quote that I would think about for a while. Just as context Pai Mei is teaching the main character Kung Fu and is having her punch through wood at 3 inches away, and is unable to do it at first. The quote was Pai Mei's explanation.

So what does this have to do with anyone? Well, unless you are looking for inspiration to punch wood. It is the concept that you won't accomplish anything if you accept defeat before attempting it. The more you become aware of it, the more you will see it in your daily life.

I was going for a walk last summer, and I see a random shirtless guy trying to impress a girl and doing parkour/free running in a park. The girl wasn't the only one watching. I saw two guys watching from a short distance (lets call them baseball cap and NYU, as one was wearing a baseball cap and the other had an NYU t shirt on), and NYU said "Damn he's good. I'm going to do what he does, I'm even going to do it better" to which baseball cap replies "Would you look at us? We can't even get the courage to talk to a girl, much less do a backflip off a fence in front of one." NYU didn't reply, and I didn't stay around for the rest of their conversation. I only really thought about what I heard that day about a month later because I was reminded of the two, because I saw NYU (I guess it's his favorite t shirt, but I definitely recognized him) doing some sprint exercise on the side of a soccer field. I started walking in that park more often at similar times because something about him made me curious. Late August, I see NYU again, wearing that same t shirt, looks like this:


Anyways I almost didn't recognize him if not for his t shirt, waterbottle, and he had pretty nice hair too. I saw him doing pullups and sprints, and it was hot that day. I got an ice cream and walked around until sundown. There wasn't a lot of people at the park at that time, and I was the only one in the area at sundown. Anyways I watched from a distance as NYU did a similar route to the guy from 3 months ago, and it must have been his first go because he was super excited at the end. I think he was a bit miffed because I don't think he noticed me, and so he thinks nobody saw what he accomplished that day. This memory is really satisfying because what might have been his best friend told him to quit because something was impossible, and he pretty much put his summer vacation into it and won. To me it seems so simple but is so motivating, so I want to share it with all of you. By the way, should anyone find NYU or should NYU come across this post, someone saw your run, and that someone remembered. Congrats. As for the rest, may the stars watch over you

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Each day is a gift and not a given right ~