Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Sinning Magpie

So one of my friends has been nagging me since forever to blog something new of my own. And the night before a history test and two days before a huge A&P Exam, of course, is when I decide to write a post. 

Needless to say, this post will probably be about one of my fandoms. Today, it shall be about BBC's TV show, Sherlock. For those of you who haven't seen the show or haven't read the books (I haven't either, it's ok), there is Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, and James Moriarty (consulting criminal).
I want to focus on Moriarty for a few minutes. I feel as if it's appropriate to let you know that he is, without a doubt, my favorite character in the entire series.

Yes, he has killed people (through the people who work for him of course)
Yes, he has threatened many people
Yes, he is a criminal
Yes, he probably doesn't have a working moral compass
Yes, he is the "bad guy" in the show

BUT

I still like the way his character is portrayed in the show. James Moriarty is the type of criminal that hates boring things, ordinary things, and for some reason that's the thing I love most about him. While I disagree with most of his actions, I can't deny that it always excites me to see what he will do next. That's the biggest difference between how much I like an antagonist and a protagonist. The main character of the show, despite any ridiculous choices s/he makes, in the end it's almost always a choice that will solve all the problems. The villain, on the other hand, is unpredictable. While his/her choices will usually result in  another problem, there's no telling what type of problem or the severity of it. Plus, the bad guys are usually 100% sass masters. There are really no words I can use to describe why I like Moriarty aside from the fact that he's like an enigma; no one knows what's going on in that head of his except for himself and that in itself makes him a puzzle I want to find the pieces to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Each day is a gift and not a given right ~