Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Listen To The Moon Talk & Watch It Breathe

Disclaimer: This is not the lovely, kind, adorable, and overall fabulous girl you know and love. I am a friend of hers, and she asked me to write something. I hope you enjoy.
-Luna
Dark Moon 


“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
~Arthur C. Clark
So the first thoughts on this quote are almost always the same from what I've seen. People start talking about aliens and whether or not there are "extra terrestrial creatures" out there in the universe. Science fiction as we know it. After all, Mr. Clark is a science fiction writer. I regret to inform you that I am yet to read any of his works, so if any of you have let me know. This quote intrigued me, so I looked into the life of our dear friend Arthur. There was a point in his life where he was an undersea explorer, and that brought back some of the weirdest and most terrifying memories I have tucked away inside my mind. Personally, I love the water. I am far from the strongest swimmer, but through my musicianship (flute) my ability to hold my breath for about 4 minutes makes up for it plenty. I have spent long trips on sailboats, and diving in the Florida Keys. One of my trips was a bit different. I am pretty good with machines, so one of my older friends and his coworker decide to take me on a trip in a winged submarine he had spent 4 years building. Just the 3 of us. I don't usually sleep much, so I was usually on night watch and made sure things worked properly while the other two slept. On day 3, my friend got sick and we had to leave him ashore. My friend's coworker didn't want to stop the trip now (if you didn't know, submarine preparation and fueling is expensive!) so it was just the two of us. The time on that trip where you could see another world was beyond imagination's reach. Granted, it wasn't nearly as exotic or deep as what you would see on TV, but if you ever get the chance to explore deep waters don't pass it up, trust me. At this point you're probably wondering why I went from being alone to the ocean. Well this is where it comes together. You see, after a week of little sleep and nothing that usually keeps me up is there, the fatigue takes it's toll. So we began alternating night watches. I remember my first night sleeping on that submarine. More specifically waking up. I had the negative fortune of having a nightmare, so I wake up with little bearings and grip on reality. I am sure you know the feeling. Anyways I am staring up at a metal ceiling in a small room, no idea where I am, and all I hear is silence. I hear absolutely nothing, and I don't know if I am alone or not. As stated by Mr. Clark, both are equally terrifying. Sometimes it's hard to decide whether it's scarier to be alone or not even on planet earth, much less the Universe. This brings up the true value of a true friend. Some people have many friends, and don't think much of them, but what happens when they are alone? Hopefully you won't have to feel the cold fear of not knowing in an unfamiliar place when you wake up to understand what I mean. Your friends are people you can trust, and sometimes we take them for granted and don't realize how scary the world is without them. I truly hope you understand what i am saying by this, and whenever you read this, I hope that you see the true value in a true friend. Let your friends know how much they matter every so often. Give them a hug or something, because you can trust me when I say that they are more to you than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Each day is a gift and not a given right ~