Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2014

4 Common Misconceptions About High School

Being a Sophomore in high school (that's taking three community college courses this year, mind you!) is very difficult and challenging. I've already had about 10 years of schooling (yes I'm counting Kindergarten) and the difficulty that comes each year with it is relentless. Some classes may be easier than others, but it's been a heck of a rollercoaster for me. There are a lot of things about school I wasted a lot of my time on that I wish I would've known it didn't matter as much as I thought it would. And, of course, being teenagers, many people hold misconceptions about our behavior and that, in turn, affects how people look at high school.




For all of my followers who are going into high school this year or will be going into high school, I really hope that this post will help you understand that high school isn't so bad. *smile*


1. Everyone gets bullied
While I understand that this is legitimately  a concern for many of you (as it was one for me as well), I can assure you that not everyone gets bullied. There is not a 100% change that everyone will hate you. If you join any clubs, there will probably be at least one or two people that share the same interests as you! Maybe you both like reading the same books..maybe both of you like drawing or play the same video games. You never know what could happen. I encourage you to try and join one club this year, even if you already have friends. It's easier to try and branch out if you make a new friends.

2. You won't find a table to sit at for lunch.
This is one of the many fears that newcomers have. Where will I sit? Do I sit with people I met in my class? Will I look like a loner if I sit by myself? Will there be empty tables? How does the lunch line work? While these are valid worries, there is a simple remedy. If you start talking to someone else in one of your classes (even 10 minutes is enough) put out a simple offer to sit together at lunch. If you don't want to sound 'desperate' try something like this: "Hey, I was wondering, want to sit together at lunch? I don't know how many empty tables there will be, so it saves us the trouble of finding extra seats, right?" and grin or laugh lightly to give that 'laid-back' feel to the other person. Try maintaining eye contact if you can.

3. Everyone in high school is most likely on drugs.
This is FALSE. While there are the groups of kids that do make the choice to drink, smoke, etc..there are a lot more who are paying attention to their grades, who care about education, and who are overall very nice people to be around. It just happens that the kids who do drugs are most often the ones who are well known because of their habits and that overshadows the rest of the student body that should be appreciated.

4. High school is like a jail cell
OK, so I understand why people might say this (I've said it a few times myself)  but don't let this saying overshadow your thoughts. The main lobby in my school literally looks like the cement walls in jails BUT I still love it here because of all the fun I have. Yes, it's stressful. Yes, I stay up all night doing my homework. Yes, studying for tests is really hard. No, I don't want to leave. You might not like high school but I guarantee you that you will make close friends and have really amazing memories. Looking past the hard work and determination you will need, high school is a really fun place and there isn't one day that you will not be amused by what's happening in the cafeteria or in the hallways.

Well, that's it folks. The four common misconceptions people have about high school. There are definitely a lot more fake rumors that people believe but sometimes it's more fun to figure out that they're just rumors through your own experience that reading about it in a blog. I wish you the best of luck in the long journey that's called high school.


(But, I mean.....wouldn't it be cooler to go to Hogwarts?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Each day is a gift and not a given right ~